Smoke alarms are not mentioned in the Residential Tenancies Act. However, the bylaws of more of our Regional Councils are requiring them to be installed in all houses. You may wish to check with yours.
Either way, we agree with the Fire Dept, 'Smoke alarms save lives' ... and property.
It has been suggested that all houses including rental accomodation should have smoke alarms installed.
The NZ Fire Service recommends you install long-life photoelectric type smoke alarms. They may be a bit more expensive, but the benefits are significant:
- they provide a minimum of 10 years smoke detection
- they remove the frustration of fixing the 'flat battery beep' at inconvenient times
- the cost of replacement batteries for standard alarms means the long-life one effectively pays for itself over its lifetime
- elderly don't have to scale ladders to replace batteries annually
At a minimum, you should install one standard photoelectric alarm in the hallway closest to the bedrooms. >>Learn more
Landlord tip of the month. If you would like to share a Landlord tip we would love to hear from you at email@example.com . We are looking for short sharp 1 or 2 paragraph tips which will help us all. If we use your tip in a newsletter there will be a $20 gift in the mail in appreciation for your effort. :-)
Double the credit for making a lodgment on TINZ
TINZ has been growing exponentially over the last 3 years and for this reason TINZ is now in a position to lower margins even further. From today onwards every tenant related lodgment you make onto the TINZ website will now credit your account $2+gst, and every tenant photo lodgment will now credit $1
Your lodgments are always appreciated by someone so feel good about getting paid while you help the next property manager.
In the LODGE menu we have separate pages for lodging ....
- Tenant ratings - For all tenants, good and bad. Tick box system! Do your good tenants a favour. When they leave print them off a copy of the reference you have given them on TINZ.
- 14 day notices - Very timely. You can lodge them on the same day as you issue a notice, so all landlords and property managers can see you currently have a problem with your tenant even before you get a Tribunal order which could be weeks away..... And why not put an address alert on at the same time so TINZ will advise if they get checked by another landlord ....... They might be ready to do a runner.
- Tribunal decisions - Important since the Ministry of Justice might not have uploaded a decision and the short time frame they are keeping decisions on-line.
And keep in mind if you use Palace software you can lodge references from right inside your TENANT EDIT page
It remains free for Bulk Uploading available rentals from software to HousesToRent.co.nz . Tips for bulk uploading from software >>here
A glimpse of last weeks facebook stats...
Suggestion Box. Many of the improvements we make on the website are directly linked to suggestions from our members. If you think we could do something different or better we would love to hear from you in our >>Suggestion Box<<
TINZ appreciates support and endorsement from...
Article of Interest
Warm Rentals Bill proposals may get landlords hot under collar
Property investors and landlords may be legally required to ensure their properties meet Government standards for heating and energy efficiency if a Bill proposed by Green MP Gareth Hughes becomes law. >>read more<<
We are always happy to hear from you and assist in any way we can.